.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Adarsh's pensieve

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cricket at last

I'm happy at last, I felt that I played cricket properly after a long time. Given the fact that I had tried to play cricket on few occasions I look upon this as a memorable moment in my life. To set your thought to the right perspective, I don't know how to play cricket. Making such a statement in cricket crazy Chennai would be suicidal, but I do be believe in the goodness of men.

Today a lazy Sunday, I had done nothing. Just slept the day off. After a refreshing tea at Perungudi, Sooraj and I went to the park next door. I took a pair of badminton racquets and few worn out shuttle cocks, with the intent of getting a very reluctant Sooraj to play a game. However cricket lovers had conquered the badminton court and we ended up watching a slowing game. The ball kept going over the wall too many times, a sudden thought of the door left unlocked got us back home. A triumphant Sooraj and a dejected me.

I desperately wanted to do something, he at last agreed to teach me Cricket. Maybe my persistence paid of, or he felt ashamed of a guy not knowing cricket; whatever it was we got to a cricket learning session in our front courtyard.

He agreed to let me bat, but had to come back to me after the first ball. I didn't know how to hold the bat! A lot of demonstrations on how to hold the bat as you pick it from the ground and moving your arms keeping the wrists and elbows fixed, I was at the crease facing the first ball, after a good session on cricket theory. I missed. The ball managed to get back to make contact after a few attempts and was soon get driven straight back to him. I was ecstatic, never have I managed to do as much as touch the ball so many times in a single session. Foot work and sweeps followed by batting demos went on until a rogue ball and a rookie bat sent the ball to depths of the swirling drain, ending my lesson.

My my most humiliating encounter was when I was bowled out by a young lady during our office match in Bangalore. I hope my lesson had taken place before that unfortunate encounter.

3 Comments:

  • In the beginning we all play cross batted shots, however, you seem to have conquered the natural instinct and hit the ball straight back to the bowler.

    Congratualtions.

    By Blogger Viswanathan, at 4:42 PM  

  • gr8..pls visit www.hawkeyeoncricket.blogspot.com

    By Blogger vignaesh ram, at 11:18 PM  

  • nice to know that u have started playing cricket...:))
    check out http://mmksworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/galli-cricket-in-japan.html

    By Blogger Admin, at 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home